What are the Differences Between
Wood Fences and Aluminum Fences?
Selecting a fence for your property can be a challenge. Fencing can play varying roles, and different materials and styles meet different needs. Some fences provide more privacy than others and some provide more security than others. While there are several fencing options available on the market today, we find that people struggle to decide between wood and aluminum. Both wood and aluminum are great choices and have very different qualities. Before deciding which material meets your needs, consider the pros and cons of wood and aluminum. Each offers advantages, and at the same time, has disadvantages as well.
Advantages of Aluminum
- Cost Effective Investment – Over the long term, you will save money. Aluminum fences require little to no maintenance, unlike other materials that require regular care and maintenance.
- Minimal Maintenance –You do not need to repaint or re-stain an aluminum fence.
- Highly Durable – Aluminum fencing will not rust, rot, or fade. This is one of the biggest advantages of using aluminum as a perimeter fence or around a pool area.
- Versatility – Available in a variety of styles and colors, an aluminum fence can be designed to match your existing property style, enhancing, and beautifying the look of any home, business, or community.
- More Secure Than some Other Materials – Aluminum fencing is harder to climb than chain link or wood and nearly impossible to cut through, making it one of the better choices for security.
- Increases Curb Appeal – A well-built, attractive fence can not only increase the curb appeal of your property, but also can increase the value.
- Aluminum Fencing is Beautiful – If you are looking for a fence to set your property apart from the rest, aluminum fencing is for you. Ornamental aluminum fencing is one of the most elegant looking fences on the market today.
Disadvantages of Aluminum
- Less Privacy – Part of the appeal of an aluminum fence is its innate ability to not block the view of your home or business from being seen. An aluminum fence is see through. Viewing access to an area is possible between the vertical pickets. If you are looking for a privacy fence, aluminum fencing does not conceal much at all.
- Initial Cost of Aluminum – The initial cost to install an aluminum fence may be a deterrent and a larger up front investment than wood. Although, as stated above, over the long term you will save money in maintenance and repairs.
Advantages of Wood
- Affordability – In comparison to other fencing materials, such as aluminum, vinyl and composite, wood is less costly.
- Privacy – If you are looking to install a fence for privacy, wood is a great choice. A wood fence will not only enhance the aesthetic appeal of your yard or business but will also keep peering eyes away and deter intruders.
- Versatility– Wood fencing blends in with nearly any setting and is available in a variety of sizes, colors, and styles to meet individual privacy, security, and aesthetic needs.
- Wood Fencing is Beautiful – There is no denying the beauty and elegance afforded by wood fencing. Most home and business owners love the feel, privacy, and aesthetics that wood fences provide and the beautiful way they blend into their landscaping designs
- Provides Security – A high quality, well designed wood fence will help deter theft, vandalism, and trespassing while protecting your family, home, business, guests, tenants, and employees.
Disadvantages of Wood
- Vulnerability– Unlike aluminum, wood fences can decompose making them vulnerable to fungus and dry rot. Additionally, wood fences are vulnerable to termites and can fade, decay, crack, and warp.
- High Maintenance – Because wood is a natural decaying material, maintenance is required to maintain its integrity. Wood fencing should be checked regularly for decay and termite damage and cleaned and disinfected if affected. Additionally, wood fences need staining or painting on a regular basis
Which is Better, Wood or Aluminum Fencing?
What is the Best Decision for your Outdoor Space? As stated above, both wood and aluminum fencing have advantages and disadvantages. If privacy is your primary objective, a wood fence may be perfect for you. On the other hand, if ease of maintenance and durability is what you need, aluminum would be the better choice. The material you choose should meet your aesthetic, security, and privacy needs, budget and more.
For More Information about The Differences Between Wood and Aluminum Fencing,
Contact Carter Fence Company
If you need help deciding whether a wood fence or aluminum fence is right for you, Carter Fence Company Can Help! With over 30 years of experience, we can answer your questions and provide advice on the best option to meet your needs and fit your budget. Locally owned and operated in Naples, we have worked with thousands of homeowners, business owners, general managers, and property managers throughout Southwest Florida providing the highest quality products and the best customer service in the industry. With satisfied customers who return again and again, and an abundance of positive reviews, we are one of best, oldest, and most experienced fencing, and gate contractors in the Southwest Florida area. Your satisfaction is our #1 priority, so we won’t stop until YOU are happy. Contact us today!