Protect your Fence for Hurricane Season

As you are aware, hurricane season is upon us, and will affect Southwest Florida in some manner. The only questions are when will it affect us and how bad will it be? NOAA’s outlook for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season, which spans from June 1 to November 30, predicts an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season and a 5% chance of a below-normal season. We at Carter Fence believe in being proactive to protect your investment, your fence. Preparing your fence for hurricane season is essential to prevent damage and ensure the safety of your property. Below are a few comprehensive steps to hurricane-proof your fence.

protect your fence for hurricane season
protect your fence for hurricane season

Top 5 Steps to Hurricane Proof your Fence

1. Inspection and Maintenance:

Inspecting your fence regularly for signs of wear, rot, or damage is important. During your inspection make sure you tighten any loose screws, bolts, or nails. In addition to this, if you find any weak or damaged sections, those should be replaced as soon as possible.

2. Reinforcement Techniques

If you find any weak sections during your inspection using some reinforcement techniques can help. You can help brace weak areas by adding diagonal braces at corners and gate posts to provide additional support against wind forces. If you have fence posts in soft or sandy soils, metal anchors can be used to help secure the posts.

3. Gate Security

Ensure gates are made of strong materials and are securely fastened. Use heavy-duty hinges and latches. Also, make sure to lock your gates or secure them with additional bracing during a hurricane to prevent them from swinging and causing damage.

4. Preventative Measures

Taking preventative measures with the landscaping around your home and fence is also helpful. Keep trees and bushes trimmed to prevent branches from falling on the fence or on your home during a storm.

5. Professional Assistance

As always, if you are unsure if your fence can stand up against hurricane strength winds, consult with the experts. Seeking advice from professional fence installers is always helpful, especially if you live in a high-risk area. They can provide tailored solutions based on local conditions.

By following these steps, you can significantly improve your fence’s resilience to hurricanes, protecting your property and reducing potential repair costs. Additionally, recording a video or taking pictures of your fence before the storm is beneficial. Make sure you document all stretches both inside and out. You should do this with your home as well. Keep yourself and your home safe this hurricane season.

Who to Contact for Fence Inspection, Maintenance and Repairs

Since 1989, customers in the Southwest Florida area have called on us for all their fence installation and repair needs. Having been in the fencing business for over 30 years, there isn’t a problem we can’t solve and fix. We can make your fence as strong and beautiful as the day it was installed. As a family owned and operated business, we have become a trusted commercial, residential, and industrial fence repair and installation company, offering timely service and great rates.  Contact us at Carter Fence today!


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This